In 1925, a group of business men in Edwardsville decided it was time to form their own Rotary club.
Some of them had been meeting at the other clubs in the area, but felt a new Edwardsville Rotary club should be founded. The Granite City, Illinois Rotary Club sponsored the group and on 8 April 1925, the new Rotary Club of Edwardsville, Illinois received their charter from Rotary International.
Since that time, the Edwardsville club has grown to approximately 150 members, one of the largest in district 6460.
The Rotary Club of Edwardsville has continued the process and sponsored the Highland Rotary Club and the Goshen Rotary Club, as well as co-sponsoring the Collinsville and Bethalto Rotary Clubs.
On April, 2006, the Club moved from St Johns United Methodist Church (201 St Louis Street, Edwardsville) where it had met since YYYY to The First Christian Church (310 South Main Street, Edwardsville). The move was necessary due to the sale and closure of St Johns.
Home Club of 6 Past District Governors
Thomas Williamson, deceased
Lamont Heidinger, deceased
Clinton H. Rogier, (then a member in Highland, IL)
Ernest E. Tosovsky, deceased
Kenneth Evers, deceased
1973-74 & 1982-83
Robert M. Simon, deceased
To learn about the History of the Rotary Foundation – please visit this link.
Image courtesy of Rotary Images